- Project manage a new tooling programme efficiently and effectively by generating the project timeline, identifying key milestones and establishing where emphasis is needed to keep the project on track and within budget.
- Work with your R&D team to generate component design that is capable of being taken to the manufacturing stage without change.
- Value-engineer the component design function to design-out potential tooling and manufacturing problems at the earliest opportunity, thus reducing time and cost and producing a more robust component for manufacture.
- Produce rapid prototypes to verify design and check fit.
- Use CAD software to assess component design and suitability for tooling.
- Use CAE software to determine size and position of the feed point for component moulding, establishing cycle time, machine size and component quality.
- Assess materials and processes needed to manufacture the component in relation to its function within the project.
- Cost individual elements of the project design and manufacturing programme.
- Act as the interface between technical and engineering specialists and senior management, explaining project requirements in easily-understood terms.
- Assess tool-making requirements, working with toolmakers to achieve economic designs without compromising the integrity of production tooling.
- Determine the suitability and capability of moulding and production facilities in relation to cost, equipment, production, planning, quality stock control and logistics.